Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:16 AM   #1
Default resolution

I have a 1.3 mp camera if I get a 4mp camera will my 4x6 prints be better? :roll:
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:20 AM   #2

Yes, you should see some improvement if your printer can replicate the better quality picture.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:22 AM   #3

If the optical quality, white balance, image processing algorithms used by the cameras are similiar, then you probably won't notice the difference between a 1.3 Megapixel, and a 4 Megapixel Camera at 4x6" print sizes.

Your 1.3 Megapixel Model is going to give you 4x6" prints, with around 200 pixels per inch being sent to the printer.

As a general rule of thumb, 150 pixels per inch is the minimum for good quality prints. 200 pixels per inch is better, with some users advocating 300 pixels per inch for best quality.

However, the Human Eye is unlikely to be able to distinquish the diffrence between 200 Pixels per Inch, and 300 Pixels per Inch at the print sizes you are using.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:17 PM   #4

You will end up with about 200PPI after cropping to 4 X 6 wih a 1.1Mp camera. I donít see much improvement over about 180PPI and I have a good photo printer. I have to go along with Jim on this one that you wonít see the difference if you donít crop.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:12 PM   #5

Apart from colorimetry/white balance /noise. The thing that will affect your 4 X 6 picture quality most will be your perception of the printed image sharpness.

It just may be that a 4 Mpix camera may look less sharp than your 1.3 Mpix camera, because the 4 Mpix cam is expecting larger output prints and may use less in cam sharpening. Don't worry if you've spent the cash. It's better to have less in cam sharpening at 4Mpix and add the right amount for your print size or the web afterwards. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:31 PM   #6

lest we not forget you can crop a little now that you have the leaway to do so.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:31 PM   #7

Also a more modern camera (assuming your older one is more than a few years old) will probably have lower noise in the picture and higher ISO settings. This will allow for better pictures in lower light.

And sjms is right, the higher resolution might not give you better 4x6 prints, but it will allow for more croping while still being able to print them at that size. And that is a very handy thing.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote