Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:01 AM   #1
Default Updating from Sony P120 (P100) to a newer generation of p&s camera. What will I get?

Hi and greetings from Finland,

My photo shooting skills are not good and I have no plans to go beyond family shots, holiday sceneries etc. Mostly I am watching the photos on a computer screen.

Currently I use Sony Cybershot P120 (basically P100) and my major complaint is the performance in low light. Or to me it looks like there is almost always so little light indoors that the camera would like to use a flash. It is almost impossible to take shots indoors without flash and with the flash everything looks unnatural as the object is lit but the background is dark. I have given up taking photos of my children indoors and as you probably know we have quite long dark periods also outside here right next to north pole

Could you please help me out figuring the practical benefits that I would get if I were to update to a newer generation of P&S camera? The model I have been looking at is Panasonic FX500 which would be cheap and give me 25-125mm lens and image stabilization. Has there been development in other areas also like the way how cameras are able to handle higher ISO sensitivities which might still improve my chances of getting focused shots in lowish light?

What I am basically after is that would a newer generation tiny P&S camera be good enough for my family needs or do I need to start considering two separate cameras for different occasions. I see a benefit of having a tiny camera that I could carry on my belt or while fishing or hiking etc. Indoors or when my wife is carrying her purse there is definitely space for a slightly larger camera if that is needed.

If there was a need to have another slightly bigger camera to go with the tiny P&S I have been looking at Sony H-10 (sold with good discount as it is discontinued) which might do the trick in low light with the flash and also has a nice zoom range which might be handy in the school children parties etc.

All your comments be them opinions or facts are highly appreciated.

jussiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links