Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:26 PM   #1

Default How to best clean a LCD display

Ok -- playing with my new camera (Pentax Kx) nad let my wife use it while I'm chasing kids on the soccer field. Looks like my little girl put a sticky fingerprint on the LCD(?) display.

Before I go and mess up the shiny display, what is the best way to clean it?

Thanks
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2

alcohol wipes, nothing with ammonia as it will haze up the display since it is plastic.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3

ps

get a some clear film lcd screen protector. So it prevents any scratches to the shiny lcd screen in the feature.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4

The protector is a great idea. What are sources for those -- online/Best Buy, etc.?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:44 PM   #5

I got mine at adorama for 2 dollars the house brand, you need on for a 2.7 inch screen. Bestbuy has a 12 pack for 15 dollars, buy you will need to cut to size.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:14 AM   #6

Thanks. I will look for the pack at my local best buy.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:27 AM   #7

I use the same method on a camera LCD screens as on notebook screens or computer monitors. There's nothing really wrong with the commercial alcohol based screen cleaning wipes except the disposable nature of the wipes and packaging. My method is an alternate to disposable.

First, lightly brush or blow the dust away. There is a brush made which can be electrostatically charged that works great for this purpose but lacking that any soft bristle brush will work. Second, lightly moisten a microfiber cloth with a 1 to 10 solution of 90% isopropal alcohol and distilled water and wipe the screen to remove spots and fingerprints. Lightly moisten means less than what would drip or run. Works on computer LCD screens as well.

I buy 90/91% isopropyl at Wal Mart or Walgreen's. 70% may contain, according to some, perfumes or other additives. I buy distilled water at Wal Mart, $0.99 a gal. I use a fair amount anyway for my CPAP machine and in the water tray for my wife's zebra finches. Microfiber cloths from Harbor Freight, 4 pack at $1.99 on sale.

My view of screen protectors is much like my view of UV filters on lenses, largely a waste of money which protect against negligable risks and have their own set of drawbacks. In 18 yrs. of supporting 300+ notebooks which often go into somewhat hostile conditions I have had only one case were a screen protector would have prevented damage. In that case the user heavily sprayed everything in his tent with bug spray including his open notebook. The insecticide did a number on his screen. Bottom line, don't spray insecticide on your screen, everything else is irrelavent. My general observation is that camera LCD screens are more rugged than most notebook screens.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Apr 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:20 PM   #8

For most of my electronics (and camera lenses) I use the eyeglass cleaner solution they sell at places like lenscrafters. It's pre-mixed and ready to go, and already intended for cleaning lenses with coatings. It works exceptionally well on fingerprints.

Microfiber cloths are good for LCD screens, however for camera lenses I still prefer to use disposable cloths.
scaredpoet is offline   Reply With Quote