I only ever display my photos on a TV 0 0%
I only ever print my photos direct from the camera 0 0%
I display my photos on PC and TV 3 10.00%
I display my photos on PC and print them 17 56.67%
I display my photos on TV and print them 1 3.33%
I display my photos on PC, TV and print them 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:26 PM   #21

Once the picture is taken its worked on with the PC and stored to disk. Any worthwhile shots are put on a website (Flikr) to share with friends. The file is also added to my photo frame. A print may be made for putting into a binder.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:52 PM   #22

I only look at images on my PC both for selection or PP. Those that go to family or friends via email. Those for old folks get printed at COSTCO and snail mailed.
Condoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:23 PM   #23

Mainly print for me, though I also have done some DVD slideshows, and put together an album for digital picture frame. I work on the pics on my PC, but don't use it much as a viewer.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:45 AM   #24

I wonder if there is another angle yet to this question. My photos are best described as "amatuer hack wanted a big sensor camera to get better low light photos of the school play" - so the photos are family oriented and personal for the most part, ergo TV and print display. I imaging enthusiasts and pros looking for critical review/ feedback would rely on the more easily transmitted fortmats- computer based.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:20 PM   #25

I voted #5: PC and print, but prints are fading away from my life. Adieu good old film times; adieu prints; adieu paper. We're entering a new era in photography and visual mass media.
One day, not far away, our walls will be huge, super high full definition OLEDs or whatever. May be you'll paint a wall and it will become a screen. Cool.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:29 PM   #26

I'm going to say "Not so fast!" to the last post. There are things you can do with paper still that cannot be done with large LCD displays. Among them:

- I can cover my walls with multiple prints at far less expense than having multiple monitors.

- Paper requires fewer outlets (0) and requires fewer cables be strung around (also 0).

- They're portable. I can roll up a large print and take it wherever I need to.

- Most LCD TVs (and computer monitors) are made with wide aspect ratios, typically 16:9 or 16:10. That means you can mount them one way and they'll show really good landscape photos, or mount them another way and they'll show really good portrait-orietned photos. But the monitor will come up short when displaying photos oriented opposite to its physical mounting, or even photos that may have been cropped to more square aspect ratios for artistic or other reasons.

- While some may frown on the environmental impact of printing on paper, consider how much energy is used by an LCD display, not to mention the energy and waste expended in creating the display and the ultimate disposal dilemna posed by the mercury (unless it's an LED backlit design which ads to the expense), plastics, lead and other heavy metals. At least paper is easily recyclable.

I display my photos on the web, but I also like to print them. I have access to a wide format printer, which permits me to print out images up to 44 inches wide and lengths up to 100 ft if I choose to. It's calibrated and designed for accurate photo reproduction using archival quality pigments. So, I handpick my best photos, and they get printed poster-size and mounted on my office walls. Typical sizes are 18" x 24", 24" x 36" and 36" x 48". And I can tile them or arrange them as I choose.

There's also a fine level of detail that you get from printing that you can't get from an LCD TV. If you're only gonna display your photos at 1080p, why bother to use anything larger than a 2.1 megapixel sensor? The display is only 2.07MP anyway...

The prints I make have become real conversation pieces for people who visit, and they offer real dramatic effect while letting me use my big LCD displays for other things. Yeah, paper poster prints might not be as flashy or showy as an LCD display is, but the photos I print are (I hope, and am often told) eye catching enough on their own, without the aid of a bright screen assaulting your eyes.

It also lets me justify my camera purchases. If someone asks me "what do you need an 18 megapixel sensor for, or even a 39 megapixel sensor for that matter?" I can show them. And the detail of the prints keep me on my toes. If the printer is using every pixel, I can't easily hide my mistakes by downsampling.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Apr 17, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
scaredpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:28 AM   #27

I display on my PC for myself, and every week or two with 3 family members and me squashed into my tiny computer room.

I make prints myself only for occasional joke greeting cards, but regularly use an excellent, cheap, local photographic shop to produce large prints up to 18x12 for my own display purposes and 6x4 for 'grannie brag book' and for images from other family members' digicams. For panoramas longer than 18 inches I use an on online printing outfit. I voted for these (PC & print) as my main uses. I seldom print myself because of the limited maximum size and the high cost and lack of permanence of inkjet ink.

Occasionally, when I can nail everyone down, I use mother-in-law's large HD TV in a long, thin room to display from CD via her DVD player. Its resolution, hence apparent sharpness, isn't adequate for my taste, unless you sit a long way away, but the family like it, apart from the relatively slow loading of high resolution images. I prefer the result on my son's much smaller HD TV, but seldom get chance to use it (can't compete with a Playstation).

Last edited by Alan T; Apr 21, 2010 at 4:36 AM. Reason: typos and forgetfulness
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote