Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:21 PM   #1
Default best telephoto on an inexpensive digicam

I'm wondering which camera currently offers one of the best telephoto capabilities (true optical, not digital zooms) in an inexpensive price range (under $300?). Going to a concert & I want something relatively small but one that will allow me to get good pics of the performer on stage. Probably needs to perform well in low light since I know that no built-in flash on a camera of this type will do any good. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
yronbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 3:59 AM   #2

Your killer will be the sensitivity. Cheaper compact camera lenses may require 1-2 stops more light at max zoom and some are only 100 ISO equivalent speed. Anything which moves is likely to come out blurred. You will probably need manual focus and white balance options as well.

There are techniques you should learn for shooting stage shows if you have permission. Basically, wait for opportunities when there is plenty of light and very little movement, get as close as you can and don't rely on autofocus and white balance. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:30 AM   #3

Try this link for ultrazoom camera pricing

Vox has already mentioned that with the problem with max zoom on these type of cameras. The Oly 740Z, a little above your price range, has manual controls that will allow you to overcome of the shortcomings.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:02 AM   #4

A good choice can be the Minolta Z1. It is a 3 Mpx camera with a zoom 10x 38-380 equivalent, a sensitivity between 50 to 400 ISO, a short shutter lag and a small size.
You can find it for less than 300 $.
Give a look here:

FrancescoC is offline   Reply With Quote