Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 19, 2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Default JohnG.....Question for you

I just happened upon this site when searching for reviews of the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. There is a message thread dated back in August 2009 (here's the link).

Canon Rebel XSi with EF 50mm f/1.8??

You posted some pictures that I think are fabulous. THAT is what I want to be able to do. However, I'm a newbie and just bought my first DSLR. I got a Canon XSi with the kit lens and also a telephoto lens. I was considering the 50mm f/1.8 in order to take better pics indoors without flash. I take a lot of pics of my small kids.....and they aren't still! I believe the pictures you posted were demonstrating bounced flash. I have no idea how to do that. But, I guess I'm wondering what kind of camera/lens/flash you were using in those shots. Are pics that sharp even possible with my setup? I can't say enough how great they looked!
tonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2010, 2:51 PM   #2

Thanks for the kind words. Bounced flash is something you do with an external flash not usually the built in one. An external flash has the ability to tilt from strait out to usually 45 degrees 60 degrees or 90 degrees from horizontal. I use an external flash and put a device on it called a Stofen Omnibounce - it's a $20 piece of plastic. YOu put it on the end of the flash and set the flash at 45 degrees. Some of the light bounces off the ceiling and some hits the subjects directly but in both cases the plastic device also defuses the light so it's softer. I'm not a big fan of the 270 (or 220 I forget which it is)ex it's pretty week. The 430exII however is a very nice flash.

flash photography takes practice to get right. And I do my flash work in RAW (rather than jpeg) so I can make white balance corrections and adjust the photo when the flash power was a bit too much.

Now, I also was using a 24-105L or 85mm 1.8 lens. Those are a bit sharper than your kit lens. But you should be able to still get very good results after you learn how to use flash AND proper post processing of RAW files.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 7:27 AM   #3

Thanks, John. I have a lot to learn. Hopefully one day, I can get shots as vibrant and sharp as the ones you posted. I appreciate your reply.
tonya is offline   Reply With Quote