Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2003, 4:02 PM   #1
Default Need help with buying a new camera.

I am going to buy a new camera for Christmas. I am a beginner looking to upgrade from my aging Sony DSC P31 to something a little better. I want to shoot simple scences with friends, but also have the ability to capture decent landscape shots, good night shots and have the camera be compact. I was looking at the Canon Powershot A70, Minolta E323, Casio QVR40 and possibly the Minolta Dimage Z1. I like the manual features of the Canon, but the Casio is 4.0 Megapixels. I love the zoom of the Z1, but I am moving away from that due to it's size and shape. Any suggestions on which is better or would be the better choice for me? Thanks in advance.
Loki595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2003, 5:29 PM   #2

What do you mean by "night shots"?

Do you mean longer exposures with a tripod?

The Canon has the ability to go up to 15 seconds in shutter priority or manual exposure modes, with noise reduction automatically enabled on exposures of longer than 1.3 seconds.

The Z1 also has longer exposure ability. It can go up to 4 seconds in Autoexposure, 15 in Shutter Priority and Manual Exposure Modes, and 30 seconds in Bulb Mode.

However, the tests I've seen from both models (of cityscapes at night), tended to exhibit some purple fringing. The Canon seemed to be the better performer there, though (but unless you take the same photos, in identical conditions from both models, there is no way to say for sure).

The other models would not have similiar capability (longer exposures with noise reduction).

Give us a better idea of what you mean by "night shots"

If you mean something different (flash shots), then the other models may have their merits.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 6:24 PM   #3

I meant using a small tripod and doing basic shots of nighttime landscapes with bright lights and such. So far, the Canon seems to be the most highly regarded, and I'm leaning more toward that one. Has anyone had any bad experiances with the Canon A70?
Loki595 is offline   Reply With Quote