Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:54 PM   #1
Default Resizing and E-Mailing

Looking for a software package to resize my pics so that I can e-mail them. I have the Kodak 6490 and taking the pics at 2 megapixles. Only problem is that they are so large I can not e-mail more than on or two at a time. I tried using the Kodak software but can't figure out how to resize with that and don't particulary like the e-mail function either.
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2003, 9:21 PM   #2

Try irfanview. It's free.

You can download it from http://www.irfanview.com

Make sure to download the free plug-ins, too (one of them is a plug-in to e-mail the image you're currently viewing).

You can also downsize and save images with it.

Look for the E-mail under the Options Menu.

Downsize the Photos under the Image, Resize/Resample Menu.

BTW, you may want to consider just posting them in an album somewhere online. That way, you just send a link, versus the images.

Pbase.com offers a lot of flexibility (style sheets, direct linking, personal forum for your albums, guestbook, etc.), and the prices are cheap ($23.00/year for 100mb, with unlimited bandwidth). They also don't charge extra space for all of the viewing sizes (users can view your photos as small, medium, large, or original). They also let me upload an entire album in a .zip file

I use them, as well as Photoaccess.com

Photoaccess makes their money by users ordering prints. However, they do offer free, unlimited album space. Another nice feature, is their Photostreamer software. This let's me create an album locally on my PC, setup security features (who can view, copy, order prints, etc.), then it automatically uploads my photos and creates the desired album and parameters.

Also, unlike some services (like imagestation, etc.), your guests don't have to Join to see your albums on photoaccess.com

So, I keep the albums on both. One of the benfits to an album on Photoaccess.com is when you take photos at family gatherings, parties, etc. Users can both view the photos, and order prints (without you needing to try and print extra copies for them). Works great, and it's free for you.

The downside of Photoaccess.com, is that users cannot download the original size photos (although Photoaccess.com uses the original images when they order prints). So, I use Pbase.com, too (so users with printers can download the originals, and print their own if desired).

Here's an example of an album on Pbase.com:

Here's the same album on Photoacccess.com:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 7:02 AM   #3
Default Re: Resizing and E-Mailing

Originally Posted by Bushwacker
... I tried using the Kodak software but can't figure out how to resize with that...
I don't know that software, but typically when you click on "save as" there will be an "options" button/box that allows you to specify JPEG and the degree of JPEG compression
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 9:19 AM   #4

Kodak digicams already produce JPG images.

If you have Windows XP there is one of the "Power Toys" for resizing pictures that is quite good at it and easy to use. Check the Image Resizer here:

luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:31 PM   #5

Try the Power Toy that luisr posted. It is really easy.

You just right-click on the picture and choose resize. It gives you a few size options to choose from. It also creates a copy of the image instead of messing around with the original. Best of all, it is free.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote