Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:47 AM   #1

Default trading in a camera...which site?

how reliable are adorama or bhphoto for trading in or selling a used camera?
what kind of percentage do they give for things in really good condition? i am thinking about selling or trading in my fujifilm that still sells on amazon for around 500 dollars................
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Administrator

I've used http://www.usedcamerabuyer.com/ in the past and they were great. Price was very fair as well.

I recommend you call instead of getting a quote online, I got more money for my camera that way.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:05 AM   #3

woah1 just called them......offered $72.80! i have seem my camera on amazon for 500 give or take a little. how do i get an accurate assesment? adorama and bhphoto dont have it listed on their site
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Administrator

What Fuji camera are we talking about here?

You can't compare the value of your used camera to a new one. Even if it's in really good condition. If you want to get the "most" out of your camera, you'll have to try other revenues of selling it (e.g. Ebay, Craigslist, etc.).
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:18 AM   #5

a fujifilm s8000fd in excellent condition still has the cd, box, manual, neck strap. etc.
i paid 180 dollars on craigslist which i think was a steal
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness View Post
woah1 just called them......offered $72.80! i have seem my camera on amazon for 500 give or take a little. how do i get an accurate assesment? adorama and bhphoto dont have it listed on their site
It's a discontinued model. The prices you're seeing on Amazon are from dealers that are probably taking advantage of someone that doesn't know any better than to pay that much for one. ;-)

That camera was introduced *3 years ago* (in July 2007), which is very long time as far as a non-dSLR camera model. Street price was only around $340 for one (brand new in box with warranty) when it was introduced 3 years ago.

If you check Ebay, you'll find multiple listings for that camera with "buy it now" prices of $250 or less (and ones being bid on will probably go for less than that).

For example, here's one in refurbished condition with a 90 day warranty for $249 with free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujifilm-FinePix...item3a5701781b

Here's a used one for $200 with free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujifilm-FinePix...item3caf15e8d4

Those are just a couple of "buy it now" examples I see.

If you look at completed listings, chances are, some have been selling for less than that. For example, here's one described as being in good condition with some minor scratches on it that just sold yesterday for $101.67:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujifilm-FinePix...item43a060607e
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:00 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
a fujifilm s8000fd in excellent condition still has the cd, box, manual, neck strap. etc.
i paid 180 dollars on craigslist which i think was a steal
That sounds about right, given that I'm seeing them for around $200 in Excellent condition on Ebay from sellers with lots of good feedback (100% positive, which smart buyers are going to look at), with the seller needing to pay listing fees, risk payment issues from online buyers, etc..

Here's yet another completed listing I see for $201 for that camera in like new condition from a seller with 100% positive feedback (and from what I see, they tend to go for less than that if they have any wear on them, as you can see from the completed listing at $101.67 I posted a link to in my last post). This one only had one bidder, too (which should give you an idea of the interest [or more likely, lack of interest] that buyers may have for an 8 Megapixel digital camera introduced 3 years ago selling for that much, despite the nice description of it being like new in the box, seller's reputation with 100% feedback, etc.).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujifilm-FinePix...item4cf02ef398

Also keep in mind that if you sell one to a dealer, they'll want to make a profit on it; and they'll consider overhead to inspect it and test it, inventory it, list it for sale, handle any returns in the event of issues, etc. (and they'll keep in mind that value will likely degrade as time passes as it's a 3 year old, discontinued camera model now, and most buyers are probably going to look at newer cameras with higher resolution and more features).

Not to sound negative...but if you don't want it and decide to put it back on Craig's List, I'd consider getting what you paid for it to be a very good outcome, especially since you're not the original owner. If you sell it to a dealer, I'd expect a lot less.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
how reliable are adorama or bhphoto for trading in or selling a used camera? what kind of percentage do they give for things in really good condition? i am thinking about selling or trading in my fujifilm that still sells on amazon for around 500 dollars...
The amount you'll receive selling to a retailer has to be less than you'd get selling to another individual. if the "street" price an individual would pay you is (just to pick a random number) $200.00, that's the same amount they'd pay a retailer. The retailer has to figure in expenses to receive the camera, warehouse the camera, sell the camera, warranty the camera and so on, plus a reasonable profit. Selling to a retailer is simpler, like bringing your old car to the dealer as trade-in, but selling privately, while more work will usually mean more $$.