Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Default Timelapse faster than 1/minute

A very large portion of the photography I do is "event photography" where it is extremely useful for me to set up one or several cameras located around the event, let them run unattended for an hour or so, and then review the results later on.

The problem I have is that all the cameras I've looked at for years will do "time lapse" no faster than one shot per minute. That's usually too slow and misses a lot of the shots that I could have used. The "burst mode" (taking 2-4 low-resolution pictures less than a second apart) is pretty much useless for what I need to do.

I have a few old Kodak DC-260 and DC-290 cameras which will run Digita scripts to take pictures continuously (about 1 every 25 seconds because that's how long it takes them to process images), but those are rather dated and lack the resolution and speed of newer cameras.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to take pictures in full resolution every five or ten seconds without user intervention. Does anyone know of a good-quality digital camera that will do this? Budgetwise, I'd have a preference for something under $1,500 per camera, but I could talk myself into going higher if I liked the camera enough.
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:58 PM   #2

Well -- some of the Pentax Models have this feature (like the Pentax Optio 555), but you're limited by the number of frames (99 total).

The Minolta A1 also has this ability (30 second minimum though), with a maximum of 240 frames.

You may also want to look at some of the Nikon models using the MC-EU1 wired remote control. You'll have to look at the manual to see how the time lapse works (and whether it will meet your needs). Here's the link to the manual:

Harbotronics also makes wired remotes for many Nikon models to add Time Lapse functionality. Here's the link to their site:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote