Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which camera should i get? (please read below)
Minolta Dimage A1 - ($750 - 800) 0 0%
Canon Digital Rebel / 300D EOS - ($999) 4 100.00%
Sony F828 - ($999) 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:49 PM   #1
Default Dimage A1 / Digi Rebel / F828 ??? ^^

first, i want to apologize for filling this forum with another "what's best camera" theme thread. the main reason i need help asap becoz i'm travelling by the end of the week and hopefully i can get a decent camera to bring with me (instead the 2.1 megapixel crap i got :P)

second, i narrowed down my choice to 3 camera's

1. Minolta Dimage A1 (around $750-800)
- i like the auto shake feature
- and it seem it's a well rounded feature camera.

2. Canon Digital Rebel / 300D ($999)
- i like this because it got the slr look, not too heavy
- i don't like that there is no lcd view finder
- and i heard the zoom lens is not that good (the one included)

3. Sony F828 ($999)
- this interest me because i can get this with 1 grand spending
- compact flash feature
- sony brand
- i don't like the weight of this camera and the length.

i omitted nikon 5700 because of long focus time at low light shot.
i don't know any other things that stand out from those 3 cameras, but after a week research... those statements above are what i can come out with.

Thank you for everyone who read and replies and especially to JimC who have been spectaluarly helped me with selection process & knowledge.

Xo Martel
XoMartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 5:50 PM   #2

You're comparing point and shoot cameras to an SLR camera. The DRebel is in a different category than the other two you've listed.

The DRebel has the SLR look because it IS an SLR. SLR's do not have an LCD viewfinder -- you look through the lens and that image is refracted off a mirror so an LCD image cannot be displayed until after the shot is taken. The lens that comes with the kit is an 18-55mm lens and is a pretty good lens for the amount of money that you're laying out for it. If you compare it to the zoom capabilities of some of the point and shoot cameras, then no, it doesn't zoom out as far -- but that's the beauty of the DRebel -- you can vary lenses to the type of photography you're doing.

Bottom line....you have to determine what type of photography you want....do you want to take pictures of the family vacation or do you want to be creative with photography. If all you want to do is take snapshots, the DRebel is overkill but if you want to get into the fascinating realm of photography with infinite possibilties to explore, the DRebel is a great entry level camera.

I'm sure the other two cameras you've listed are great cameras. Take a good hard look at the features that are important to you and the type of pictures that you intend to take and base your decision there.

Whichever direction you choose, good luck
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 7:17 PM   #3

Which camera is a better fit for you, depends on how you want to use a camera, and the conditions you'll use one in.

There are pros and cons to a Digital SLR.

LCD Framing: unlike a consumer (or "prosumer") camera like the Minolta A1, the LCD can't be used for framing on a DSLR.

Lens Cost: To get the same focal range you can find in a consumer level camera, you often have to spend much more money, especially to get lenses that are as "fast" (widest apertures available at wide angle and zoom). To get all the features (macro performance, zoom range, etc.), you must often purchase more than one lens, too.

Camera Size/Weight: Because of the larger sensors used in most Digital SLR cameras, the lenses also have to be larger and heavier for the same focal ranges/light gathering ability.

Sensor Cleaning: When you swap lenses, you risk dust getting into the the sensor.

A Few Advantages to a Digital SLR:

A true "Through the Lens Optical Viewfinder" -- what you see is the same image being transmitted to the sensor. You do have similiar functionality with a camera like the A1, with it's Electronic Viewfinder (EVF), although there is some delay in the image being transmitted to the EVF, compared to an Optical Viewfinder.

Much Better Dynamic Range -- again, this is mostly due to the much larger sensor being used.

Ability to Shoot at Higher ISO speeds with lower noise. Most Prosumer models have fairly high noise levels at higher ISO speeds (again, mostly due to pixel size and density of the smaller sensors). The SLR's have much larger sensors, and much better signal to noise ratios.

For low light photography (or sports photography), many users find that consumer grade (non-DSLR) cameras can be virtually useless in many situations, due to extremely high noise --- especially at ISO 400 or higher.

Fast Focus Speeds -- Most Digital SLR's use a Phase Detection Focus System which is extremely fast. Most Consumer Grade Cameras use a Contrast Detection Focus System which can be slow (and often unreliable) in lower light.

Ability to Control Depth of Field - The smaller sensors used in a Consumer Grade Camera limit your ability to control Depth of Field (blur backgrounds by using wider apertures). The much larger sensors used in a Digital SLR give you much more flexibility over Depth of Field, especially since you have a great variety of lenses available for an SLR.

Lenses become an investment - With a Digital SLR, when you upgrade your camera body later, you can take your lenses with you within the same manufacturer. With a consumer grade camera, the lenses are permanently attached.

Speed of Writes - The processors used in most Digital SLR's are dramatically faster than the processors used in consumer grade cameras. As a result the camera's overall operation is usually much faster.

Both types of cameras can be great for many users. Some users have both (a compact consumer model good for most shooting situations, that is much easier to carry); as well as a Digital SLR (with multiple lenses) for special purpose applications.

There are pros and cons to both approaches.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:29 PM   #4

Thank you ohenry and JimC,

i do like digi rebel but as you made it clear that slr cost more to maximize its potential.

so i'm going to go with consumer type camera.
due to late availability of f828... what others camera that's great for less than $999, beside the Minolta Dimage A1 i mentioned.

Much appreciated as always

Xo Martel
XoMartel is offline   Reply With Quote