Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Default Camera just died

Well I will first tell you its a Canon S1 is, so no real lost and it belongs to my parents. Its had a long life and all, but if anyone knows can they tell me whats wrong with it. It has been acting funny for a while. It took images just fine, but the LDC were funny. They had horizontal static going across them, you could see the image, but it was just fuzz. It was okay on the computer.

Now its dead dead. It seems to be totally unrelated to the prior symptoms. Its black, if you aim it at a light source you get a dancing white area. Very jagged like its made of needles and the "shaking hand" icon is always on the screen. If you pan the camera across the light source the white area stays to the right of the screen, almost like somethings off center inside the camera. I've done a systems reset and no luck.

Here is a picture. I would like to try an fix it, simply for the point of "trying" to fix it. IMO its a junk camera, but I don't think my parents would mind having their camera back. I'd also rather not have them using my Panny FZ-28 if it can be helped.

Curiositykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:29 AM   #2

well, it is a pretty color...other than that...don't have an idea.
might be a good time to get a new one...a good excuse...like we need one...especially higher mp.
Prices have gone down, MP have gone up...good timing.
There are some great people here who have seen most Everything...someone will come up with something.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:55 AM   #3

It looks like a problem with the sensor. I'm not familiar with the camera, but there were a number of 5MP models of various makes, that used Sony sensors which were defective and subject to recall. Don't know if that is still in effect, but it wouldn't hurt to check the Mfr website.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote