Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:03 PM   #1
Default Old lens - spots

I found an old Helios 44-2 lens that my parents have owned for some 40 years. I know that these are dirt cheap but it has had very little use so I want to try it on my E-PL1.

When I inspected it I saw two small black dots (dust?) inside the lens. Do I need to worry about trying to clean the lens or should I try it? Don't have the adapter for it yet and will need to learn to use it properly (has aperature ring and focus ring that operate very smoothly).

Thank you.
finja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:58 PM   #2

It is worth giving it a try, as long as the cost of the adapter does not exceed the value of the lens. Even with an adapter, it could be a total loss. How big are the spots?? How good is the lens?? Personally, I would consider it a doubtful venture.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:31 PM   #3

Cheapest adapter I found on ebay was $14.

The spots are tiny more like a pinpoint. Had to hold the lens up against a white background to see them. Otherwise the lens is mint - absolutely nothing wrong with the surface of the glass since it was always stored with a cap. It's 58mm f2 so I was hoping it would be usable as a portrait lens.

Would it be hard to open up the lens to clean it?

Thanks for your help.
finja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:17 PM   #4

Older lenses usually require a special lens wrench to remove the mounting rings. The wrench will probably cost you more than the lens is worth. The spots, being on the inside of the lens, are probably a type of fungus. If you get the lens apart, it can probably be cleaned with alcohol. Unless it is a very special lens, or you just like tinkering with things, it probably isn't woth the trouble.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote