Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 9, 2002, 3:56 PM   #1
Default Lower resolution vs. higher compression

I have a 256 MB compactflash card.

I can fit around 256+ photos at 1600x1200 with "superfine" (lowest) compression on my Canon A40.

Now, this is PLENTY for a given situation, however I'm going on a trip, and it's possible I'd need more shots before I have the opportunity to burn the images to a CD-R.

Assuming I'd like to gown down in qualityh the LEAST amount possible, would my best bet be:

Drop to 1024x768 while maitaining the superfine compression?

Keep it as 1600x1200 while dropping to "fine" compression?
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2002, 9:30 PM   #2

I believe that would depend on the actual camera, format, jpeg/tiff format and compression algorithims, which varies all over.

I would create a set shooting situation, take two pics with the same distance, lighting, etc., and then zoom in and compare in Photoshop and judge based on my shots.

1) Buy a CF or other mem reader/drive combo to download daily and continue to shoot in the highest resolution/lowest compression.

2) Buy a new mem card or micro-drive and stay with the higher settings as well.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 9:55 PM   #3

Of course a 2nd card makes life easy. Most good cams let you store custum settings, one you would ssetup with high quality for those great shots "traveling companion para sailing behind motor boat in can cun and rope breaks" and the othe for snap shots hotel ,room , nothing special, llow res and quality. you cann store both modes and flip between easy.
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote