Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:33 AM   #11
Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

You left out other factors: focal length, subject, metering mode. Were both cameras shot at the very same FL, distance, and angle? Slightly different backgrounds can give different exposures. Did both meter the same: spot, center-weighted, matrix? If matrix, do both cameras use the same matrix of metering points? Different metering gives different exposures. Were the cameras handheld (with eye to viewfinder) or tripodded (with viewfinder exposed)? Light entering the VF can alter the auto exposure. Many factors, many variables here...
Too many film+digi cams+lenses, oh my -- Pentax K20D, ZX-M, M42's, P&S's, more
The opposite of LIBERAL is not CONSERVATIVE, but ENSLAVED.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:38 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Picking up on the flash question as the other part is well covered. The reason to use higher ISO (and other exposure elements - shutter speed, aperture) is to decide how much ambient light you want to be in play. For indoor shots do you really want flash to be the only light? I can't decide that for you but unless you are bouncing an external flash off of a wall or something which will bring nice lighting to many aspects of the frame the answer is probably no. So increasing the ISO, slowing down the shutter and getting the aperture open is going to give a much more balanced photo which looks less like a typical point and shoot shot. You can often find me shooting at ISO 1600 and higher with flash and dragging the shutter to 1/8s if there are coloured lights or other items of interest around.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:33 PM   #13

I didn't realize the flash intensity was less with the higher ISO. I will experiment with that. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong because on that same day I was shooting some stuff outside and in P mode without the flash, it was picking some shutter speeds at like 1/40 or 1/50. Now it was an overcast day and very cloudy, but I just thought that seemed a little weird that it would go that low. I believe this was when I was zoomed in all the way so it was at f5.6. I know I don't have much info here and you can't tell how light it was out, but does that sound right for outdoors on a grey day? It happens to be sunny out now, but next time it is overcase I will experiment more and post better info.
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:55 PM   #14

There's a really nice page illustrating some of the points that Mark was making here: http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-pho...g-the-shutter/ BTW, the other pages on that site are also worth a look. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote