Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:34 AM   #1
Default Should I buy a Sony DSC-V1 Cybershot or a Canon Elph 3.2 MP?

Dear Stevesforum users - plesae help me.

My wife and I are having a discussion (read headed for divorce disagreement) :roll: over what digital camera we should buy.

For the last 7 years we HAVE NEVER OWNED A DECENT CAMERA! Neither film or digital. - and I've had it.

When I think back to all the times we wished we had a camera and never did for special occasions I could kick myself! Mainly it's because everytime we looked at camera prices and how new ones were coming out constantly we kept deciding to wait, and wait some more until now 7 years later the only fotos we have of ourselves are those others have taken of us - or ones we've taken from crapping throw away film cameras.

I want to buy a super nice camera. I'm not a photographer but I am a tech geek and love my electronic toys - I also like to have the nicest piece of equipment that I can afford.

My wife saw the Canon Elph that a friend was using (it's an older model). We went and looked at the latest Canon elph and it's 3.2 megapixels for about $399.00 at Best Buy. She likes it because it's very compact and seems easy to use. But I haven't seen it recommended anywhere on Steve's Price List Reviews for it's pricing.

I've been looking at reviews and saw the Sony DSC-V1. It's a little bigger than the Elph - I like the Elph for the size too and it does cost more money, but every review I've seen says it's an awesome camera. Should I just spend the extra and the get DSC-V1.

Can you provide coherent reasons I can tell my wife why we should?

1.) I want the camera to be able to take very quick fotos.
2.) Allow us to blow up photos or take decent basic ones.
3.) Have options for special effects
4.) Shoot Movies with sound and stills
5.) The night shot part seems cool - I don't know how often I would use it but I like the idea of having that feature.
6.) I also like 5 megapixels over 3.2.

What do you all think about this?

maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges here and it's pointless - I don't know, but I appreciate any help you can provide.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
BillBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links