Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:37 PM   #11

Thanks for the answers everyone! It certainly is food for thought.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:33 AM   #12

I think if you found the artwork worthwhile to take a shot of then asking for one with the artist in it would break the ice. Tell them you like the piece and then perhaps another shot without them in it. If the person says no up front then you know not to be so direct when taking the picture. You can get it again if you really want to take it. I have a fake telephoto lens that screws on my regular lens where filters are attached. The fake lens has a hole in the side of the barrel with a surface mirror at 45. The fake lens takes pictures at right angles to the direction the camera is pointed. So no one knows what you are taking. It works for any situations where someone doesnt want you to take pictures. What they dont know wont hurt them, or you.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:59 PM   #13

Illegal no
Inconsiderate yes.
You will find most people receptive so long as you dont just ignore them and assume you can just take whatever pictures you wish at random. Sometimes all it takes is a simple not with your head, holding up your camera and "do you mind?" There are few that its against religion and others that just dont want their photos taken but you will find these are a minority to those who just expect common courtesy.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:54 PM   #14
Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
I second that...it's ridiculous ! Public space is not like a museum, where taking photos is forbidden...
In Mexico, many of the major museums are owned by a federal ministry, with very low admission cost -- and photography is allowed! Just no flash, usually, and maybe no tripod. Some charge a fee for videography, but rarely for stills. I've spent days inside the superb anthropological museum in Xalapa, and the world-class museums of the brothers Coronal in Zacatecas, and museums at archaeological sites, and art museums in various cities, busily snapping away at all the glorious stuff. And the same re: outdoors arts festivals, mercados, street fairs, street vendors of arts and crafts, etc. Just avoid political gatherings and protests (ALWAYS!).

Also in Mexico and Central America, many churches and religious structures are de-facto historical art galleries, and as long as photography does not interrupt a service, I've encountered no restrictions other than on flash. Some may encourage donations, and I have no problem with that, especially for restoration funds.

But, back to the streets. Shoving a dSLR with a big lens into peoples' faces is indeed discourteous. For much street shooting, a small cam with a wide lens, held nonchalantly, arms akimbo, is much less threatening. And if you're shooting art-for-sale, you're less likely to draw an angry response.
Too many film+digi cams+lenses, oh my -- Pentax K20D, ZX-M, M42's, P&S's, more
The opposite of LIBERAL is not CONSERVATIVE, but ENSLAVED.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote