Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:04 AM   #1
Default Scanner for OLD Negatvies from 1950s

I recently received a bunch of old negatives from my Grandmother. I have been scanning old photos also but there are a lot of images on the negatives that i do not have. I would like to scan these but most of the scanners i see only do 35mm negatives. There are about 2 photos per negative sheet and are from Kodak I 620 film. There are a few negatives of different sizes and im not sure what film they originated from. I would really like to scan these myself. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced scanner that would defiantly do these types of negatives? Your help is defiantly appreciated.
dmaz481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:48 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The Epson V500 or CanonScan 9000F are both very reasonably priced flatbed scanners that will do a reasonable job on any type of film.

There are much more expensive solutions available too, but you would likely not be interested in those for what is essentially a one-off project.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:11 AM   #3

Agree with peripatetic, the flatbed scanner is a good route to go. The flatbed scanners will come with adaptors for 35mm film strip, mounted 35mm, and a 120. And you could cut a matte for the odd size film.

Something thing to bear in mind, the scanner can be glacial depending on your resolution settings. Even slower if you turn on the "dust removal" options.

One could take another route. Do you have a camera with closeup macro ability? Use your camera as the "scanner" and take snaps of the negatives, then batch process the lot in photoshop for your positives.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote