Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:58 AM   #1
Default entering photos into contest size photos

i have a NIKON D5000 and store my photos on PICASA...everytime i wish to attach a photo online to a contest...my photo is too large ie.3+MB...and they say the photo has to be no more than 1MB....how can i either take photos in this size or PREFERABLY change my photo to a smaller size?
...need 'babylanguage' to understand ..thanks
storeybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:07 AM   #2

When usiing Picasa, you can use the Export Button you'll see at the bottom of the page, which will prompt you for a folder to export images to (for example, a folder on your desktop, so you'll still have the original, as well as a resized copy you exported to a different folder). At that point, you can specify more options like the size (dimension) in pixels and jpeg quality level.

For example, you could specify an image size of 1024 pixels on the longest side, and use a custom JPEG quality level of around 80, and that would probably get your file size down to around 200KB. You may also want to try the Normal Qualty option and see what file sizes you end up with. Here's a page on using that feature in Picasa. Note the custom quality option (the higher the quality, the larger the file size for a given image dimensions in pixels)

I'd check the rules of any content you're entering for the dimensions in pixels they prefer (1024 pixels was just an example). For very large images (i.e., if you don't downsize the image dimensions to 1024 pixels on the longest tside), then you may need to use a lower JPEG quality setting to stay within file size limits. It's going to depend on the contest what they want for your submissions.

For entering the POTD contest here at Steve's, we handle the resizing for you, so that you don't have to worry about doing it ahead of time. We just show a crop box that lets you decide the portion of the image that will be seen on our main page if the photo is selected (then, if someone clicks on it, it still takes them to an uncropped version, that we automatically resize to fit on the POTD page).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote