Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:57 AM   #1
Default Entry level digital back for old Linhof 4x5

I am trying to help my brother get back into photography after about 30 years of absence from his beloved hobby. He hasn't been able to afford doing anything with his equipment for years and is nearly computer illiterate. I can help him with the computer part and image editing software but I know nothing of getting use out of old slr's and view cameras.

I don't have the exact model # but his best camera is a Linhof 4x5 that may be about 30 years old and still in good shape. Is it possible, or worth it, to get a digital back for this camera? If so, what is a good entry level adapter/back for a camera like this and the approximate cash outlay? If need be I can unpack the camera and find out the model.
JLaGraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:31 AM   #2

There are two ways to handle that camera. One is to use a digital back that's about 4.5x6cm, and mount it in the middle, which would significantly limit the angle of view that he may be accustomed to getting with film. The other is to use the same back, but mount it in each of the four corners, taking a shot at each corner, and assemble them into a single image on a computer later on.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote