Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:37 PM   #11

Gee folks... you can shine a flashlight into someones eyes and get red eye. Drive drown the road and see eyes reflectiing!

Now what you need to know is why and how to correct it without the photoshop or cam "re reduction".

Get the flash off the camera and watch the eyes!
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:16 PM   #12

Get a Minolta Z1 -- low cost, hot shoe, v10x zoom, ery quick AF compared to C750, etc. and probably the Canon A80. Do yourself a big favor and just go buy a low cost bounce/swivel flash; so much of an improvement over built in flash that you will wonder why you ever put up with it in the first place, IMO.

WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:01 AM   #13

Wow, the Z1 looks like a very cool camera! It is kind of big for what I want, but with a 10X zoom, its not too bad.

I think I may have another solution for my dilemma. If anyone has any experience with this type of product, please chime in.

How about a slave flash that goes on a bracket like this one?
It works off an optical sensor. It fires when the built in flash fires and has a provision to ignore the digital camera pre flash.

With this, I could use any camera I wanted. Most cameras I see with a hot shoe are a bit larger than I wanted, and often are priced higher than I was in the market for.

What do you lose using a "dumb" slave flash compared to a "smart" flash that is meant to work with the same camera brand?

If this would work, it would be a very acceptable fix. I could use any camera I want to, and not be limited to models with a hot shoe. i was very happy with the A80 except for the red eye issue.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote