Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Default Point & Shoots vs. Smartphones

And interesting article from the New York Times this week on declining consumer use of dedicated point-and-shoot cameras compared with growing use of cameras built into smartphones. It is worthy of your attention:

Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:50 AM   #2

Yea I know I was taking shots at the Nativity show an d along comes a brother elder and he pulls out this slim phone and starts snapping away some shots after I told him what I was doing with my shots... darn it his did not even pick up the back lights...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:52 AM   #3

I happened to be out with a bud and he was using an iphone 3gs to take pictures. i took the same shot with my dslr and put them both on the computer screen to review later. the much lower quality of the iphone pic was obvious, to him also. but it comes down to viewing device. if these crap pics are lo be viewed only on a smartphone screen, they'll be ok. not great but usable.

i never thought about it but maybe this explains why at the events and places i go to, there are tons of dslrs and bridge/super zoom cameras and almost no p&s.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:18 AM   #4

Most people are not concerned about the quality of pictures, just recording events.
I recently saw advertised a two-way video camera, which takes a picture of you taking pictures, so you can be in your own shots. Bizarre.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:24 AM   #5

Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Most people are not concerned about the quality of pictures, just recording events.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head here, Brian. Think back to before you *really* got serious about photography. Did you really know the difference between a photograph and a snapshot? It's a mediocre world. The vast majority of folks settle for "good enough" or what makes them look cool.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote