Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2003, 4:39 PM   #1
Default I need a photosmart printer and your help in finding it!

I am so overwhelmed with the world of digital photography!! I would just like to take occasional digital pics of my family and print for scrapbooking and sharing through email and occasional pictures to send to relatives. I have an Olympus D-340R which has 1.3 mp, but takes good pics. When you crop there is a difference in quality, but other than that, it seems like a good camera. I need a decent photosmart printer. I have read all the reviews, and I am still confused. I am thinking about the Canon i860 or the HP 245xi. Does anyone have an opinion about what is a good printer? I want to stay under $150. I would like the option of not having it hooked to the computer. I have also thought about the HP printer/camera photosmart bundles that are available. Are these a good deal? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Signed, Clueless
jhood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 4:20 AM   #2

I used to have a 1.3 MP camera and an HP printer. I was also looking to upgrade my printer so I did my research for weeks. Although I was an avid HP fan, several facts led me to choose the Canon i960. Such as: higher quality picture due to 2 picoliter droplet size, lower ink costs due to separate ink tanks and just the sheer # of positive reviews from consumers. The i860 is also a great printer, but if your primary use will be pictures then I suggest you spend the extra $50 and get the i960. It has more colors and the smaller ink droplet size.

After doing so, I soon realized that my 1.3 MP (Canon A10) camera also wasn't enough anymore. My roommate had a 3.2 MP camera and we both took a picture of the same thing. His was noticeably sharper on 4x6 prints and contained details that mine blurred. Thus I did my research in the $300-$500 range and have so far narrowed it down to the Canon A80 and the Nikon Coolpix 4300. There were a few others that were appealing (such as the Minolta Z1), but in the end they were too big for my taste. I will probably go with the A80 due to the $50 rebate currently being offered by Canon in conjunction with the printer. It also supports the PictBridge technology (which you seem to be looking for) that will allow me to print my photos directly to the printer without using a computer.

But again, just regarding the printer, I have to say that the i960 is amazing. I truly can't tell the difference between its prints and those from a photo lab. Neither can anyone else that I shown the pictures to. Hope this helps. –Ryan
ryedizzel is offline   Reply With Quote