Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2003, 4:44 PM   #1
Default Color to B&W

Is it better to shoot with the camera's B&W setting or shoot color and use photo editing software to change image from color to B&W
TJ May is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 5:14 PM   #2

i would prefere to use software so u have the original for just in case...
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 5:30 PM   #3

The only advantage for B&W as far as I know, is if you know you are shooting documents (text pages), and want to save a bit of card memory space. I also sometimes use it for recording overhead or white board notes in lectures. There may be some subtle advantages like noise or bit depth when using a B&W mode that others may know more about. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 6:07 PM   #4

Other than the kind of specialized shots Vox mentioned, I think it is best to shoot in color, then convert later. Beyond issue of the "best" conversion process, you might not want to convert everything, e.g.,

(Still dinging about with this one)

I think converting to gray scale is a good way to deal with snow, but I'd like to leave the color in other areas. Not something to do with every photo, but can be effective in some cases.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:16 AM   #5

Even with a camera that only saves jpegs, you probably won't obtain a substantially less compressed image by saving as B&W. And it may be much more difficult to control tones later: eg. you want to convert the colour contrast between a red apple on a green cloth in a still-life into a tonal one in B&W.
Here's a link to a web page on a technique invented by Russell Brown and a link to an instuctional 7.5MB .mov file :
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:59 AM   #6

I prefer to shoot in color and then convert to BW. One of the techniques I enjoy is to extract the subject of my photo in color and then change the rest of the photo to black and white.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote