Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:43 AM   #1
Default I am confussed.....need help

I am confussed and need your help. I am not able to decide between Cannon 300mm f2.8 and Canon 300mm f4. The price difference is too big and the f2.8 is far far superior lens. Which one should I go for ?

I have read the reviews and most of them say that th 300mm f4 is quite slow in AF and if a tele converter is added it still gets slower with f shop going high, which is not good for bird photography... I am quite keen on taking birds pictures. Please advice...
Canon Digital EOS 60D D-SLR
Canon Lens 55-250mm
Canon Lens 18-55mm
Canon Lens EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS
Canon Lens EF500mm F4L IS USM
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide angle
hanalwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:24 AM   #2

Honetly most bird photographers go for even longer lenses with the 500 and 600 f4 being the most popular. There is a huge difference in price between the two and the 300 2.8 is clearly a better lens. The 300 f4 is still a great lens and the AF is just fine at f4. If you add a teleconverter you will certinly see the AF slow down and may become inopertive on some camera bodies with the 1.4x being marginal and the 2x really pushing it. There is a huge difference in size and weight as well. If birds are your primary intended purpose and you want to stay in the lower budget range a 400 5.6 would probably be a better choice. If you can afford it go for the 300 2.8 as tele converters perfrom much better and with a 1.4 you now have a 420mm f4.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote