Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:11 AM   #1
Default Sanyo vpc-pd2 digicam issue

I recently bought the sanyo vpc-pd2 digicam. Unfortunately, it will only record for up to 30 minutes at one time, then it shuts off, regardless of the memory card size I'm using (currently 32 G). I need to record for one hour at a time, w/out pause.
Does anyone know of a workaround for this?
felixdoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:27 AM   #2

That's probably because of EU Import Duties. It's my understanding that if a camera can record more than 30 minutes of video, it's classified as a video camera and higher import duties apply. So, manufacturers limit the recording time on many devices.

Another thing that can limit recording time is use of a FAT32 file system (since the maximum file size for a single file is 4GB).

Most cameras currently use FAT32 for their file system (but, some newer models are now supporting exFAT, which is what you get with the newer SDXC cards for cameras that support that media type). exFAT allows much larger files (but, most existing camera models don't support SDXC cards using exFAT, as support for SDXC cards only started recently with some newer camera models). See more about exFAT here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote