Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2003, 11:27 AM   #1
Default information please

I am in the process of deciding which digital camera to purchase. I have a cannon a80 but am not sure if I want to keep it. The pictures that I have taken are very good however, it lacks a decent zoom. I do not have the ability at this time to edit on my computor so I am wondering-- Can I easily crop or enlarge portions of pictures so that when they are printed, they appear to have been taken with a longer zoom? Or am I just going to print a larger picture of a small object? That being said, I am thinking that I might be bettere off going to a longer zoom- however- I would hate to give up any of the quality that I am seeing. I also looked at the Minolta Z1, Fuji S5000 and Olympus C740- but have not had the ability to take and have printed any pictures.

this is mainly for family snapshots and vacations, but when taking pictures of kids and dogs, the zoom is a nice feature.

Thanks in advance
michael1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2003, 11:50 AM   #2
Default Re: information please

Originally Posted by michael1
Can I easily crop or enlarge portions of pictures so that when they are printed, they appear to have been taken with a longer zoom?
Absolutely and you don't even need a computer to do this. At places such as Wolf Camera and other stores that have digital printers, you can preview the pictures before printing, zoom/crop them, eliminate red eye, etc. All you have to do is bring your pictures in on your memory card or CD. I now do all my cropping on my computer, but I have done this at Wolf with great success.

You can only crop so much before your pictures start showing pixilation of course, but give it a try before you go out and buy a new camera.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:11 PM   #3

I own a Olympus C-750 UZ and I think the machine is great!
The 10 x optical zoom make your life easier and it has a great performance.
You can se some picts at http://pbase.com/deiota/ or at http://deiota.instantlogic.com. Almost every of them are not software improved.
I must say that the difference between the C-740 and C-750 is the 3 MP vs 4 MP. I dont0 think that it is worthn the C-740 despite of the price difference. At least, in POrtugla, it's not much ?. I think the C-750 is worth your consideration!
Andrea Oliveira

PS- If you need any extra advise, please email me to andrea_oliv@vianw.pt or add me to MSN messenger with andrea_oliv@hotmail.com
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote