Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:52 PM   #1
Default What photo software do I need for snipping sections of photos into others?

I would like to know what software I would need to take a bit of one photo and put it in another, I an thinking like photo shop but if possible I would like one that can also edit movies and things.
Matthewensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:46 AM   #2

Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, or Photoimpact will all do the first part of what you are asking. For editing video, you would need something else. I think I have seen video editing software that will also do a limited amount of editing of stills, but can't recall the name.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:47 AM   #3

The capability that you need for this is called "layers." In addition to PhotoShop, PaintShopPro will do it. There is (or at least used to be) a bundle of software from Corel that includes both PaintShopPro and a video non-linear editor that, if memory serves, was based on the ULead package. Adobe also has a video editing package that is well-regarded, but the Corel combination costs less than either individual package from Adobe. AFAIK, there is no such thing as a single integrated application that edits photos and acts as a non-linear editor for video.

[ETA: x-posted with Brian.]
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:29 PM   #4

Photoshop CS5 has some tools for working with video, but it's not going to be what you're really looking for. If you want a free solution for still editing try GIMP.
theguid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:56 PM   #5

If you have a PC, Adobe has a set of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements that's reasonably priced. Premiere can do the video, PSE for your stills. If you have access to an academic discount, Adobe's Creative Suite with Photoshop Extended and (full version) Premiere becomes reasonably affordable. But expect a longer learning curve.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote