Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2003, 6:38 PM   #1
Default total confusion

I have been trying to decide between several cameras. MinoltaZ!, Cannon A80, Olympus 740 or 750 and Fuji 5000. It seems to be very difficult to determine what is actually good or not based on reports and reviews. I am now thinking of getting a cannon rebel 11 with a two lens package 38-90 and 100 to 300 (I believe) and wait until some of this digital stuff sorts itself out in 6 months to a year. I am taking family pictures and vacation stuff just looking for ease but high quality and the ability to get close with a zoom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
michael1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:11 PM   #2

What are you confused about? What is the question or questions you want cleared up? I am sure their are owners of the Rebel 11 that would not give it great ratings. Have you went to a store and tried out any of the cameras?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 5:43 AM   #3

I just got the Canon A80 for the same purpose and it works great.
ryedizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:46 AM   #4

If you wait untill all this "digital stuff" sorts itself out you'll be waiting forever!! :shock:

Go to a camera store and demo the several cameras you are interested in. Camera stores may be more expensive than buying online (or may not be) but when your unsure as to which model you're interested in nothing beats a hands on demo, plus the salesperson hopefully will be knowledgeable enough to answere your questions regarding the various models. No one camera is perfect and those that come closest (high end digital slr's) are way beyond the price range of the cameras you mentioned.

I read many glowing reviews on my last digital camera so I bought it online, without a hands on demo. After working with it for a few days I realized that I had made a big mistake but by that time it was too late to send it back so I lived with it for 18 months cursing it with every shot that was out of focus (even when on a tripod and using a cable release) even though the focus confirmation light indicated that proper focus had been achieved. Not every shot was out of focus of course but enough times to make me always wonder if the shot was going to be sharply focused. So for me I should have concentrated on a camera that had the kind of accurate focusing that was right for me. Generally, to find out what works for you is to go demo the camera (s) for yourself and not totally rely on written reviews and opinions of others.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 4:22 PM   #5

And don't forget; the camera should fit in YOUR hand. So e.g. I decided to buy a Minolta A1 - knowing all the pros and cons - because the release knob was exactly where I wanted to find it.
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:08 PM   #6

I would split the cameras into 2 groups (sort of).

The Z1 and C750 have hot shoes. The A80, S5000 and C740 do not. If you are doing indoor flash photography, that is a big thing to consider.

The other big difference is the A80 is 4X zoom, while all the others are super zoom 10X cameras.

Do you need lots of zoom or an external flash?
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote