Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:51 PM   #1
Default How to take macro photos

Hi, I have a Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR. I have the default lens that comes with it. I think it takes a 58mm filter too (I'm an amateur so don't know what I'm talking about). I want to take photos of like a small marble very close. I can get the 60mm macro lens but its like $450.

Can I just put a magnifying filter on this? Does that do the same? What options do I have?

Thanks for any help.
kenw232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:22 AM   #2

There are three ways to do macrophotography. One is to use close-up lenses that attach to filter mounting threads on a lens you've already got. This isn't a great way to do it but it works. The close-up lenses magnify the flaws in the lens you use them with, and they impose some of their own. If you decide to go this way, and you're serious about macrophotography, you should get good ones.

Another way is to use extension tubes. These are tubes that fit between the camera body and a lens you already have. Extension tubes don't have any optics of their own, so they don't introduce any of their own flaws, but they do magnify the flaws of the lens you use them with. (The Canon 18-55 IS lens is pretty good, so you shouldn't see many problems in that respect.)

Lastly, you could use a macro lens. Macro lenses are very good. They have few flaws of their own, and in addition to being able to focus closely, they can also focus at infinity, without having to remove anything, so they are very convenient to use for other types of photography.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote