shutter priority 0 0%
low shutter lag 9 52.94%
Accessible, cheap batteries 3 17.65%
larger buffer 2 11.76%
unlimited burst mode(kudos to Kyocera) 3 17.65%
other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 2, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1

Lets stop all the stupidity and give consumers what they want.
I just want a non-SLR camera that gives me the ability to take any picture I want under any kind of conditions. Can at lease one company make cameras that are focused on performance and not stupid bells and whistles.

1) A camera with fricken shutter priority. Why is this so difficult to do?

2) A camera that we can put in our pocket and take wherever we go

3) An LCD that is actually large enough to be seen by human eyes

4) An autofocus mode that actually works fast enough to capture an average action picture

5) A limitless continuous mode and a quick shot to shot time

6) zero (or close to it) shutter lag

7) Excellent low light ability

8) Batteries that can actually be purchased from a store. So many excellent rechargable AA and AAA batteries available now why do we haev to suffer with these idiotic proprietory batteries

9) Quality lenses and no noise.

Here is the JUNK that we dont need.

1) Anything that can be done using a cheap photo program, such as black and white, sephia, sharpening.

2) Movie modes. If your camera is junk then why worry about trying to squeeze a movie mode in too. Concentrate on the camera first.

3) MEGAPIXELS - My 2 megapixel Nikon can take better pictures then a 4 megapixel Kodak. Companies keep putting out more and more megapixels but their cameras perform the same from year to year.

4) Voice recording- just another bell and whistle to mask a bad camera

5) Dumb preset modes - How about have 2 or three modes where the photographer can save their own settings

Kudos to Canon. If they put all the features of their A-series cameras into the body of a digital elph they would have the perfect camera.

Also kudos to Fuji, Sony, Minolta who seem to be moving in the right directions
kaybob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2004, 5:27 PM   #2

I vote for all the above but good quality reasonably priced DSLR’s is what we really need. I love my Fuji S602 but a DSLR with no shutter lag and a true manual focus is what I would love to have. I bought my Fuji new for $449.00 last year and that is what I call reasonable. Competition will again be the winner for the consumer.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 12:47 AM   #3

Here is what I want (add to list if you like).

A built in flash (pop up would be nice) that would allow you to take flash shots without everyone having red eyes! Every compact camera suffers from this.

Agree on much of what you said. We have enough MP. New models dont need to continuously increase MP size. I had an A80, now have an S400. I'd love the A80 manual features in the S400 body. My 1.3 MP A50 had a 2" LCD AND an LCD on the top. The A80 and S400, 1.5" What happened?
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 6:39 AM   #4

Software/firmware whistles and bells cost little for high volume production.

Give me a decent lens/ccd and SLR like usability - 'cos that's what I'm giving up with 'pro'sumer digicams costing over 3 times the price! And yes, I know digital processing is not as expensive as film - but then I've got the PC kit, camera and media depreciating very fast and learning new things in an ever changing technology driven environment, gets more painful as you grow older! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 6:48 AM   #5

Hmm I can see there are some points here, but... most 35mm film point & shoot cameras also lack shutter & aperture priority mode.

If you read reviews carefully you may find some compact p&s digital cameras do have shutter & apperture priority.
I fail to see why the lcd is too small, compared to the traditional optical viewfinder. For after photoreview, you have to wait a few years till foldable lcd screens become common (just pull the folded screen from out of pocket , plug it in camera an inspect photos)

And yes shutterlag is still a big issue.
What I really think is plain bullshit is the electric viewfinder, yet another power drain to shorten battery life. And oh yeah I agree on Sepia and other fancy color modes, but then thats just a gimmick with a few digital cameras, not al have that.

If you prefer a small sized compact camera there is a trade off in lens size and thus photo quality. See also my newsyears reportage http://www.desk.nl/mupe/photos/newyear2004/index.htm.
(Photos taken with Fuji F601 at 400 iso, most at 30 sec. no flash)

The only thing I occasional miss with my Fuji F601 (replaced by Fuji F610) is a manual focus ring....;-)
Everything else is present upto flash exposure compensation stops and low shutterlag (but still present due to current technique )
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote