Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Default Video Conversion Setting

I've made the decision to begin editing the movies I made on a Canon A710 years ago for two reasons. One to consolidate multiple clips into a single video in some cases but also to convert the bloated AVI files into MP4 format. I have some experience with doing this but am just looking for additional advice. Essentially the AVI files are at a data rate of ~14.5 MB/s. I'm not sure why they are so big as the quality is standard 640x480 but nonetheless a 1 minute video is ~110 MB. I will convert these to MP$ using quicktime which is quite simple but was just wondering if anyone had advice on choosing the output data/audio rate. I know ~7MB/s is near DVD quality but these were shot with a A710 so even if I wanted to put them on a DVD later would it matter if they were 14, 7, or 4 MB/s if I was watching it on HDTV anyway? I want to get the best bang for my buck if it is discernable. My intention is to convert at 4.8 MB/s with audio at 128 and essentially that 110 MB file becomes ~35 MB minus any additional footage I clip out. I'm thinking of my kids here and would like to have a single video file for an event (when there are multiple videos) with all the dead time removed. Thanks in advance.
zzmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:09 AM   #2

I don't think anybody can tell you exactly what settings to use--it depends on your tolerance for noise and artifacts in the result. Take the same clip and transcode it 3 times: best, middle and lowest quality settings. Decide for yourself which is the minimum you can stand watching.

Note that the frame rate has an enormous impact. I donno what your source is but web video is sometimes as low as 12 fps whereas HD is often 60 fps.

PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote