Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Default Will iMovie '11 support Panasonic SD99?

Hello everyone,

I bought a Panasonic Camcorder (Panasonic HDC SD99) and i want to cut the videos with iMovie '11. For the best result i want to use 1080/50p recording. And now my Questions:
Is this Panasonic Camcorder supported by iMovie? If not, how can I import my videos to iMovie 11?

After editing with iMovie i want to burn the files to DVD or better BD. Or maybe i stream it to my WDTV HD in Living room.

Hope my Questions are not too stupid for you because i'm a beginner! ;-)

Greeting from Germany,

sylvanas1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:06 AM   #2

iMovie doesn’t support HD camcorder AVCHD files absolutely. To import avchd files to imovie, you need transcode avchd files to mov format, friendly format recognized by imovie. Generally in order to maintain the best output quality, you'd better choose mov output with AIC codec, developed by Apple itself. Of course, the size will be bigger than the mov with other codec like H.264. Remember better quality means bigger size.

to burn dvd discs, it is easy, just use iDVD, attached to Mac computer. For better BD, you probably need nero or toast 10 tool.
vivianhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:24 AM   #3

Hi and welcome according to apples web site the hdc sd99 is supported in imovie but it does say PAL and I think Germany is PAL.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:55 AM   #4

I searched on the net and found that some people think iMovie cannot actually edit native AVCHD files. The "import" process converts them to QuickTime format first, a lengthy task that is a major stumbling block with HD video.

But also some people regarded this process as "measure of magic" which refers to the import process rather than the conversion.

What is the truth on earth?
vivianhelp is offline   Reply With Quote