Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2004, 5:45 AM   #1
Default Help on choosing a digital cam

All I really want is replies on which camera you would choose from the two that I have listed below.

Sony DSC F828

Minolta Dimage A1

Thanks again
richpadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:27 AM   #2

I would choose the A1 because of the antishake ccd that is built into the camera. The 828 consumer reviews are complaining of bad CA (purple fringing) problems.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:33 AM   #3
Default Both of them are good.....

Both of them are good. 8)

Read the reviews and decide which ones feature suits your needs.
None of us knows for what you'r going to use the cams. :shock:

Read the reviews and if you like both of them go to the shop and hold them and choose which one feels comfortable in you hands. :idea:

It's your money, you have to decide yourself.

Good luck ..........
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 1:13 PM   #4

I won't tell you which one but will tell you what to think about (I've always had a bias against Sony due to the memory stick but looks like they now support CF as well). Oh - by the way - I chose the A1 My runner up was the Nikon Coolpix 5700.

I chose the A1 partially due to the Anti-shake CCD function. If you plan on using the 7x zoom without a tripod - keep this feature in mind. I couldn't get clear images with that much zoom on other cameras I looked at. I also liked the layout of all the buttons and knobs on the A1. With my previous digicam I had to traverse menus and such to change white-balance, ISO, etc. The layout of the A1 is really good - in my opinion.

As far as 8MP versus 5MP. Unless you are doing some really heavy cropping I don't see why more than 5MP is necessary. Also - with 7X zoom - cropping is less esential anyway.

I'd go into a store and try them both after reading reviews everywhere you can find them (here, dpreview, dcresource, etc). Note the A1 manual is available to download to anyone from there website for further research into its features. Not sure if the Sony is likewise available.

Its your dime so be sure to do your own research.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote