Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:13 PM   #1
Default Help me Pick a Camera, PLEASE

I know im the millionth person to bother everyone with the which camera to pick question, but im seriously stuck. I am looking for a reasonably small digital camera, preferably point and shoot & at least 4mp at this moment. I consider myself to be an intermediate level photographer and currently own 2 nice Canon SLRs, one is the Elan 7E. As this is my first digital camera I want to keep the price around 500 or less. My first choice is the Canon G5, but a little too big. My current choices are:

Canon S50
Canon A80
Sony DSC-V1
Nikon Coolpix 4300/5400

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
Antsmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:25 PM   #2

I would suggest that you go to a local retailre and test shoot the cameras. One of the cameras may have that great feel to you. A camera that does not feel good in your hands will lead to disappointment. I would prefer the Nikon 5400 among the cameras you listed.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:59 AM   #3

Handling the camera is the best suggestion after you have read the reviews on each camera and are comfortable with pros/cons of each. The first digital camera you own is a learning experience and some find the handling compared to 35mm sluggish, but you quickly learn to compensate (prefocus,etc). It is very important that you are comfortable with feel of camera, location/type of controls. Go to a couple of stores and talk with sales people, handle each camera and then see if it doesn't clarify the situation a little. Good luck!
sburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 3:14 PM   #4

nikon 5400
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:00 PM   #5

It really depends as to what features are most important to you. If you want something that you can add optional accessories like a wide angle lens or a teleconverter or a more powerful flash and has some manual override capability the G5 is an excellent choice. If you want something that is more compact and is easy to put in a jacket pocket then the S50 is an excellent choice. You can get both of those in the price range you are looking for. I think you will also find that Canon has tryed to use some of the same control functions from your Elan7 on they're digital cameras (for example the quick control dial on the top of the G5). The 5400 is going to offer a little more built-in wide angle (it's zoom starts at 28mm) and Nikon also offers lenses and a hot shoe for a more powerful flash. It is at this time going to be a little more than you have budgeted for at the time of this writing.
Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 2:59 PM   #6

Panasonic FZ10.

it 0wn5 j00
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:29 PM   #7

4300 has Slide Adapter (optional).
I am converting my old slides into digital format.
The quality of conversion with 4MP camera is quite impressive!
I am very happy with camera and adapter.
akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 6:10 PM   #8
Default Mmmmm......

All the brands and models you choose are good.
They have some - or + to eachother but not quite much.
It's better for you to read the reviews and may be one or two of them will match your needs with their manual controls, zoom etc...
Narrow your search and go to the shop and feel them in your hands.
And choose the best which is comfortable in your hands or look to the shape you like.
All they are able to take good photos.....
If you ask me what I have is a CP 4300... enough for me now and I like it.
My friend, it must be your own choice but as I say you cann't go wrong with any of them.

Good luck.......and be happy with your choice.....
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote