Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Default Compact Camera Viewfinders

I have recently acquired a Panasonic TZ8 compact which is capable of taking great pictures.
I say capable because when the sun shines from anywhere behind the camera I find it virtually impossible to see the image on the screen.
My question is, why have manufacturers abandoned including an optical viewfinder in compact cameras?
I have an old Sony P200 which has one and so it seems unlikely that cost is the reason.
My other reason for wishing to have a conventional viewfinder is that it is far easier to hold a camera steady when pressed against your forehead than holding it several inches away with your arms flexed. Image stabilisation helps but can detract from the quality of the image.
sisyphean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:43 PM   #2

G'day sisy

Nice to hear from you - and a good Q

To my mind, the removal of the ''old-style, optical'' viewfinders is very sad, but they cannot keep up with zoom lenses

It is not possible for the camera makers to put a zoom viewfinder into the camera along with the zoom lens and make them work together ... if it is an electronic viewfinder [like the SLR-like cameras] then it copies what the sensor is seeing, but for an optical & separate viewfinder to do the same is just not possible - pity.

Hope this helps a bit ... any more Qs??
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Yup that's the main reason.

The market wants a big zoom range. Almost impossible to do with an optical viewfinder unless it's a TTL view like a DSLR.

If you are willing to give up on zoom you can totally awesome optical viewfinders. See the Fuji X100 for example.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote