Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:00 PM   #1
Default a camera with best video capability, picture, for $400-?

Im hopign some of you have had the chance to test out a few cameras, and can tell me which camera (in the 3-5mp range for $400usd new or less) would be the best investment for:

•best video capture (quality, not length of recording) and sound
•~4mp image, that has th emost realistic colours (or at least most saturated)
•least image noise (i dont like grain, but visible compression/smart blur on the image is ok as long as theres no grain)

i know im asking for a lot, but i need to know where to start looking. thank you all for your help!

svestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:07 AM   #2

Take a look at the Sony cameras. Most of the new Sony cameras do 640 X 480 video with sound. Most only have 16 frames a second so they are a little jerky, but the images are a lot better than the 320 X 240 that most cameras give. If you want a larger camera some of the Fuji cameras do a nice 640 X 480 at 30 frames/sec.

The Sony P92 and P10 are in your price range. Sony usually gives highly saturated colors. Some people don’t like that but you probably would considering your post. I’m not sure any of the Fujis are in your price range that have the 640 X 320 movies at 30 frames/sec but you might check.

Steve has some movies from the Sonys in his sample pictures – you might evaluate whether they meet your requirements. Even with the jerkiness I find them better than any of the smaller movies. Get a decent sized memory card if you want to take video. Alt+Enter to show the Windows Media Player full screen. Wait for the movie to load fully – it is really jerky until it does.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote