Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:10 PM   #11

That's a handy lens. I hope it works well for you.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:13 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
Well, I bought a Minoltas 50mm 1.7 off eBay for $66. Hope it's in as good condition as claimed.
Just to make sure...You did buy a Minolta Autofocus (Maxxum or Dynax) Lens, right?

Minolta also made MC/MD mount 50mm f/1.7 lenses. Those are manual focus and the lens mount is different (they won't even mount on an Autofocus camera).

If it's Autofocus (you bought one that is supposed to work on your camera), do this after you get it to make sure the Aperture Blades are not stuck open (that sometimes happens with older 50mm lenses that have been sitting for years):

Set your Camera to Aperture Priority in good light and take photos at f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, and f/11.

If the exposure looks the same for all photos (as it should), then then aperture blades are working. If the exposure gets brighter with each f/stop change, then the aperture blades are stuck open. That's because the camera thinks it's closing down the aperture more with each settings change and uses shutter speeds twice as long for each one stop change. So, if the Aperture Blades are stuck open, you'll get more and more and more overexposure each time you change the aperture setting to a one stop smaller opening (higher f/stop number).

$66, huh? I got one on Ebay, too. I bought a camera kit a while back that included a Minolta Maxxum 7000 (35mm SLR), a Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7 AF lens, a Minolta 1800AF flash, manuals, and a nice case -- all for a buy it now price of $49. :-)

Sometimes buyers will overlook the listings for 35mm camera kits with AF lenses included and you can find some bargains if you're a good shopper.

But, I usually stick to larger retailers with better return policies and short term warranties when purchasing used lenses, buying from the used departments at http://www.keh.com , http://www.bhphotovideo.com or http://www.adoroma.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:15 PM   #13

Jim, the description said it was an Auto Focus and indeed would work with Sony Alpha cameras. I've bought one other lens on eBay, a Sony 55-200. I got it for roughly $75 delivered. It was like new. Did I get taken? We will know soon enough when the lens arrives.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote