Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:28 AM   #11

I agree with many of the points here. As far as cost goes I used to buy my film in hundred foot rolls and empty cartridges and "roll my own", so to speak.
This kept the cost down and was a lot of fun.

I also did all my own developing and printing which saved me time and money and although that was great fun and really helped me understand photography in a way that is harder to do in the digital age, I agree that at this point in my life I am glad that I do not have to deal with all those chemicals, papers, enlargers, etc.

As far as the cameras are concerned I sometime just feel that the old slrs were nothing more than an extension of our eye. The cpu was our brain, the film was the sensor.

Do not get me wrong I have always been a technology nut and I love digital cameras and all the dodads available to me but I just sometimes tire a little of reading manuals about this and that button.

Maybe people felt this way that moved from horses to cars or trains to planes, maybe I am just old, technology moves on and I will with it.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:14 AM   #12

I learned on a Crown Graphic, which was a pedagogical marvel -- you could see everything that it was doing, so it really helped remove the mystery of how photography works. However, film is a complete PITA, and the upper level of B&W film sensitivity that I ever used was somewhere around ASA 400 (and lenses were typically primes that were darker than f/4 -- the lens on the Crown Graphic was a standard-focal-length 135mm f/4.7).

I never fooled with color until I started using a 35mm, in which everything was a black box. When I did, I had the film speed that was in the camera, period. And that film speed was typically something like ASA 64. Forget about playing with WB.

Even with B&W, the darkroom was a real chore -- dodging and burning was real hit-or-miss, and required you to stop your enlarger way down to get enough time in the exposure to work on the print, and you were never sure what you had done until you developed the print. When you had finished, that one print was virtually unreproducible. Trying to work with opaque on a negative was a complete nightmare.

How anyone who actually did that stuff could long for the "good old days" is beyond my ability to understand.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote