Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2002, 4:53 AM   #1
Default Please help a novice!

when i was in japan i bought a Sanyo DSC-X110 that uses Smartmedia cards. I took some shots and on a guys computer successfully loaded them on........back here in NZ i have just had a USB port put in my comp and am trying to use the SMRW Card Dock card reader to get the pictures onto my comp becuase i dont have a cable.........the software that came with the camera is in japanese and anyway i think i can only use it with a camera and a cable and not a card reader. The card reader came with some software called USB CFRW Support Soft Ver.100. I have installed this but it seems to be a program that does things inside the computer and doesnt show u on the screen...As u can see i am really new to all this. What i am trying to find out is where can i get or download a program that will get my pics from my smartmedia reader onto my comp and what would it be called....would adobe photoshop do this? Any help would be very much appreciated
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2002, 7:38 AM   #2

Either the card reader or the USB connection to the camera should show up as a removable drive. Just use Windows Explorer (not IE) to copy them to your hard drive.

You said, ".... i have just had a USB port put in my comp ....". Does your USB port work with any other device? If you have a computer old enough that it didn't have a USB port, there may be some hoops to jump through to make that work.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 8:12 AM   #3

I am not familiar w/ your model but plz note the following, which is universal throughout :

1. English manuals R usually downloadable thru the maker's official site .

2. there R 2 ways to get photos from your camera to your PC : 1, by linking a cable directly between these 2, and 2, by taking the SmartMedia card out of your camera and inserting into the media reader (connected to your PC) . search thru the original box again, since the former way is more swift than the latter .

3. U usually do NOT need any additional software for your PC to recognize your camera when connected . as BillDrew pointed out above : open your Windows Explorer and look all the way down below . you should be able to see a new drive letter . the newer the Windows version, the more easily your PC would recognize w/o extra installation . the extra software included probably is a photo-editing software . U really don't have to use this, rather the 1 U R used to .

4. if still in doubt, ask in the Sanyo category of this forum . good luck !
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:10 PM   #4
Default driver needed

First it would help to know what operating system your using, Windows 95 , 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, or is it a mac? If its win95 or 98, you will need to install a driver that should have come with the card reader. If it didnt come with a driver try to find the web site of the card reader you bought and download a driver from there. If you have ME or XP it shouldnt need a driver and should show up as another drive. Plus am guessing since you had to ad a USB port your computer is kinda old. Not even sure if your using Win 95 you can get the USB port to even work.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote