Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:20 PM   #11

When I got a Panasonic FZ30 I read through the manual about the scene settings because a couple of them did some (what I thought) weird things. By the time I read through it all I was so confused about how they were designed, when to use them and so on, that I gave up on them. Haven't used scene modes on any camera (and I have one that does have them) since.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:54 AM   #12

I had an a640 and i tried a scene mode and still went back to av mode.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:32 AM   #13

While I've never used scene modes, I can understand that, for special circumstances, they might be handy for casual users. For example, some cameras have a "fireworks" scene mode. Since this is not something that anyone is likely to shoot with any regularity, I can imagine that it would be nice to just dial in such a mode and hope for the best if you hadn't researched how to shoot fireworks before the event.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:00 PM   #14

ive tried them and for the most part they dont seem to give me the results i was looking for. The only one ive really used much of is the stars mode or time exposure mode, for times when ive wanted a long exposure it was usually easier to get into that mode than using the menu to get to manual exposure settings. select the seconds and go. otherwise i use the program mode for most shots and have on occasion gone to shutter or aperture priority modes.
drewp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:39 AM   #15

I've used the "sunset" mode on my Sony several times. I've compared it to a manual setting and in some instances, it gave a better exposure. Other than that , I really never use them.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:36 AM   #16

The only scene mode I have used is the Fireworks mode. I use it every time I shot fireworks. I also used the sunset mode a few times but haven't used inn the last 6 months (only used it when I shot sunsets in 2009 and 2010, haven't focused on that in 2011)

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:54 AM   #17

My camera doesn't have scene mode, wish it did, as they do come in handy once in a while. The wife's DSLR does have scene mode that shoot in RAW and yes she likes to rub it in at times. If you just understand what the scene mode is changing in your camera then setting to them is not a lot different than using program mode, just a bit faster to get too.
Comments always welcome.

Last edited by Calicajun; Oct 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:20 PM   #18

While using the NEX-5N and SLT-A77 recently, I found myself using some of their creative scene modes more often than not. Why? Because it was so much fun!

However, like many have mentioned already, I normally keep my camera (EOS 50D) on P/S/A/M; mostly A and M.

I think scene modes are great for beginners and inexperienced photogs; like my Wife. She's got a fantastic eye (better than mine by far), and those scene modes allow her to express her creativity without having all the photographic knowledge to get the look she's aiming for.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:46 PM   #19

I use scene modes to take long exposure, flowing water, the full Moon, and some other trickery. But I no longer use in-camera filters, as once I left it on purple and my family came out looking like Barney.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:58 PM   #20

I have the HS20EXR and it to has scene modes, but 99.999% of the time am using the A (aperture priority) mode with use of the WB and F settings.
"Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints"

Fujifilm HS20 EXR
406Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote