Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:00 PM   #1
Default Given my criteria, should I buy a Canon S400?

I would like the camera to:

*take great photos of architectural models indoors
*take great outdoor scenery photos
*have very little lag time between shots

Any comment on the s400? Is there a better compact out there? I want to want to take it everywhere..but I don't want to sacrifice quality for its tiny size.

also, if I team this up with a Canon i960 printer, will I be able to print photos so nice you'd want to frame them and hang them on your wall?

I'm interested in both camera and printer being Canon b/c there's a Canon Rebate going on right now if I buy a camera and a printer.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:40 PM   #2

The Canon S400 is a well liked camera model.

You may also want to consider the larger G3. It has a much faster lens (able to gather more light), as well as the ability to use an external Canon Flash, and much more in the way of user control.

When taking photos indoors, lighting becomes a consideration for the best quality. The tiny flash in a subcompact model will have limited useability (trying to get even illumination of a subject).

When you try to take a photo of something at close range, this becomes more difficult (background will look dark, because the camera throttles down the flash strength to keep from overexposing your subject).

You may be better off trying to use external lighting if the best quality is needed.

The G3 is a little better for this purpose, because it has a hot shoe built in for using Canon External Flashes (which could be bounced for more even background lighting, etc.). It's lens is also twice as fast (able to gather more light) at wide angle, and even more so when using zoom.

The G3 can also use optional lens accessories (close up lens, wide angle lens, teleconverter lens, lens filters); whereas the S400 cannot.

As far as lag time, I'd try them out in a store to see what to expect. Digital Cameras are much slower than film cameras in this respect.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote