Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:34 PM   #1
Default Minolta G400/G500?? Feedback or Alternative suggestions

I am looking into purchasing my first digial camera. I think...and I say that loosely, I have narrowed my choice down to either the Minolta G400 or G500. However, the review states these cameras have a limitied flash range (7.5ft.).

One, is this going to really bother me or can I still capture images indoors with relative success by keeping the shutter open longer.

Two, does anyone have any alternate suggestions for cameras with similar qualities to the Minolitas....size, SD Card compatible, 4 or 5 pixels...etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Stableboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:50 PM   #2

I own the Konica KD-510z. This is the same camera as the Minolta DiMAGE G500. Basically, it was released in Japan at the end of June last year as a Konica. Then, after the Konica-Minolta merger, they decided to release it in the U.S. as the Minolta DiMAGE G500.

They are identical except for the Name and Model Number.

One of the reasons I bought my KD-510z, was because of it's flash range. It's very conservatively rated at 11.5 feet at wide angle, and this is an ISO 100 rating (many manufacturers give ratings based on Auto ISO).

In practice, it's stronger than it's rating -- even at ISO 100. That's one of the reasons I went with this model (most subcompact models have a weaker flash, that's rated at a higher ISO speed).

As for the G400, it's flash is also convervatively rated by most accounts. However, it is a much weaker flash compared to the G500. Personally, I would find the G400 flash too weak for my use, since I like to take lots of indoor photos at family gatherings, parties, etc.

You can see some photos from my camera here (you'll also see links to my user review):

BTW, here is a test I did of the KD-510z (G500) flash. This shot was taken 16 feet away from the fireplace wall at ISO 100 in pitch black conditions (nightime, raining outside, and I couldn' t even see the wall after turning out the last lamp by my chair):

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote