Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:47 PM   #61

I am a newspaper photographer that is still using a desktop running an original version of Windows XP Pro, only upgrade to the machine once since 2003 and that was to change my DVD burner out and put in a new version of Adobe Photoshop Elements.

The CPU I use now takes anywhere from 12 t0 14 minutes to boot before I can use the machine to do anything, I've run defrag, norton internet security and some other stuff but can't get it to speed up. Its painfully slow and the USB ports although they say their 2.0 they all seem to operate as USB 1.1 ports, takes me 35+ minutes to upload a 16GB card to my drive so I can work on the photos.

I'd use the machine to speed up my protectiveness so I can spend less time at the computer waiting for it to boot and catch up to where I need it to be, and more time shooting pictures. Also spending less time in the field worried about how long its gonna take when I get home to upload the photos and be free to shoot all the photos I;d like to shoot in the field (sometimes I shoot less than I'd like to so I don;t have such a long upload when I get home).

I've been dreaming lately of getting an all new system (or even trying to get my current machine upgraded) but after buying the Pentax K-5 last October (in need of camera that could shoot sports and nighttime stuff per newspaper requirements) I was not left with enough extra money to get a real computer built for a photographer that would fill my needs and this machine listed at the top of the tread would be a dream come true for me and would allow me to do what I need to do without spending hours doing it.........

So this machine would allow me to fix the above issue and do what I need to do on a daily basis without all the issues and problems and it would also bring me up to speed with the latest and greatest operating system, software, ram etc...... exactly what a photographer like myself needs.

Also I;d like to add that I have been on the Steve's site since 2007 and I freely share my knowledge on this board as much as I can. Just search for my user name and you'll see that have made over 1600 posts. So I'd not only use it for photographer but to e able to post here to help those in need get the help they need when I can help them.

Last edited by Photo 5; Jan 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:17 AM   #62

What a way to speed up CS5 photo editing ... and the specs look like it would be good for speedy AVCHD editing, too -- although it appears to be short a bluray burner. But I would still give it a good, working home!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:39 PM   #63

Count me in please. I'd be using it to Fold@home for the cure, gaming on the side, and do photo editing.

Followed and RT @oasis789
Liked and reshared http://www.facebook.com/kevin.nagg/p...19973068087846
oasis789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:14 PM   #64

I would use it for video editing.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:13 AM   #65

happy new year! and would give the to the wife so she can edit all her new pictures and videos she takes with her christmas present, Canon S100

thanks for this opportunity!
whymeintrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:25 AM   #66

Photo 5- Norton is probably the CAUSE of the slowdown... it nigh on ground my computer to a halt. Took 2 hours just to remove it..!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:37 PM   #67
Default Cool case

Would love to win this as I'm retiring this year and plan on spending way more time on photography than I have been able to in the past year.....
nick1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:14 PM   #68

Would love to upgrade my PC -- would make image editing faster, and web site work easier too. All the software, plug-ins, photos and drives make having a fast PC a necessity now days. This one sounds great! Great offer!
DesertCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:13 PM   #69

So I would have my own computer, no more fighting with the wife if I needed to use it.
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:06 PM   #70
Default Nice computer!

Sure could use a new computer to help with my photography and especially now with the video from my Panasonic cameras. Great having a chance at this, thanks,
DesertCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote