Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:05 PM   #1
Default Camera-Lens Question

Currently own Canon EOS 50D and EOS 7D.
Also own:
Canon 10-22mm, EFS f/3.5-4.5
Canon Zoom, 70-300mm, IS USM, f/4-5.6
Canon Zoom, 17-85mm, IS USM f/4-5.6
Canon Zoom, 28-135mm, IS EF, f/4-5.6

Considering purchasing either a Canon 5D Mark II or Mark III (Probably Mark II) - Will these lenses work on either 5D?

Would the Tamron AF 18-270mm, f/3.5-6.3, Dl II VC PZD work on either of the Canon 5D's?

Butteminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:13 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think they will. The Tamron 18-270mm is designed for APS-C and not full-frame.

The 17-85mm and 10-22mm are also EF-S lenses. It looks like you will be
spending a lot on new lenses.

Last edited by corkpix; Mar 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:06 PM   #3

OK - But if I do get a 5D, any recommendation for an all purpose lens for it, without mortgaging my house?
Butteminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:22 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Butteminer View Post
OK - But if I do get a 5D, any recommendation for an all purpose lens for it, ...
Well, let's see. There's the ...

Originally Posted by Butteminer View Post
... without mortgaging my house?
Woops. Nope.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:50 PM   #5

Yeah, you can get the 24-105L as a good walk around lens, it is not to bad in the package with the 5d2.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:16 AM   #6

Ive been through the move from a crop camera to a full frame. I have a few pointers based on my experience.

1.I know that the EF-S lens's just dont work on a full frame camera so just get rid of them to help fund your need for new glass.
2. Full frame sensors will amplify any lens defect's/distorsions so, buy the best you can. im not condoning mortgaging the house, or selling a kidney or anything, but if you can save for an extra 2 months to get a really good lens as opposed to an ok one, do it. if your unsure about the tameron, or any of your current lens's, try them out on a full frame, and do some pixel peeping on the resulting images. you will quickly see if they deliver quality you can accept.
3. If purchasing new lens's, try out as many as you can. ask your friends, ask in yoru local photography club. try them out in store and make sure you zoom right in to see the sharpness on the back of your camera before handing over any cash.
4. remember theres a learning curve with moving to a new lens/camera. it took me 3-4 trips out to get used to using my 70-200mm, so as long as your sure a lens is sharp, dont let initially poor field results put you off.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to try a few lens's owned by my friends before handing out any cash. My kit right now is:

-Canon 5D MkII.

-Canon 50mm F2.8 - This lens takes the most beautiful photos in low ( and regular) light. best lens for the money, no question.

-For versatility i got the 24-70mm F2.8L. Terriffic walk about lens. super quality and speed. I tried some of the longer focal ranges but they didnt have the speed or sharpness i was looking for.

-For a bit of reach i got the 70-200mm F4L. Ok, its not the F2.8 but its super sharp and gives me that extra reach when out and about. i do intend to get the 2.8 eventually,but trying both out at the time, the F4 was perfect for me, and less than half the price.

-Im missing a super long lens for wildlife, and its going to stay that way for a while as the one i want is out of my price range.

Agian, go with what works for you after trying a bunch of lens's out. my kit works for me, but im sure others would have very different lens choices.
Best of luck with whatever you end up using.

Last edited by schmintan; Mar 14, 2012 at 4:20 AM.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:08 AM   #7

Lot of my buddies in the local camera club have gone for a combination of the 24-105 L and 100-400 L
Those 2 lenses cover a lot of ground, unless you really need a f/2.8 lens.
They are not cheap, but also not bad for L series lenses.

And with the 17-40 L if you want to get on the really wide side on a FF camera

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8

Here is a very critical series of questions:

Why are you buying a 5dII?
Why would you pair that camera with an 18-270?

If you're after a DSLR-as-point-and-shoot solution, the 5dII is a poor choice. But, we go back to the first question - why are you buying a 5dII? The reason will drive out what lens(es) are needed to accomplish your goals.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:27 AM   #9
Super Moderator

The 24-105 L comes at a good price when bundled as the "kit" lens with the 5D2. It's a very good lens. Your 70-300 IS will work just fine on the 5D2 also. And in fact now that the 5D3 is on the way, prices for the 5D2 + 24-105 have fallen to very cheap levels indeed.

So as a 2-lens kit you will be pretty happy with the 24-105 L and the 70-300.

If you want to add an ultra wide zoom then the 17-40 L is not terribly expensive, but you may not need it because 24 is fairly wide already, and if you're willing to stitch 2 or 3 shots for the occasions when you need wider then it might be sufficient.

As many have mentioned - a very wide zoom range => poor quality lenses but more convenience. Canon do make a 28-300 L which is huge, heavy very expensive and has mediocre image quality. But if you really want just one lens to do it all then you could give it a go. Tamron do a 28-300 too which is much smaller and lighter and cheaper. But really you want the best lenses possible for a 5D2.
My gallery
My X100 blog

Last edited by peripatetic; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:35 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote