Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:16 AM   #1
Default Respecting your shooting site

This morning while out taking my photo assistant for her walk, I came across an avid photog working hard to capture some daffodils in the dawn light. Looked like a nice shot he was lining up. Troubling me was where he had plonked himself down -- in the middle of a garden bed with his tripod stuck into a clump of peonies. His boots were not taking advantage of the rocks.

It is early spring here, and the gardens are doing their best with the near freezing overnight temperatures. The last thing these young plants need is some dolt tromping through the bed. To show such an utter lack of respect for these public gardens; I don't care how good a capture was achieved.

Can't get close enough, try a longer lens -- that's what they make 'em for. At the very least, walk on the rocks and watch where you stick your tripod. It is not hard to get a great shot without wreaking havoc on the site.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:40 AM   #2

Second that KulaCube- what's the point of shooting nature's beauty if it looks a sorry state once you leave it..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:42 AM   #3

Ethics are very important!
Every place, plant, and animal, whether above or below water, is unique, and cumulative impacts occur over time.

I agree with the OP - use the appropriate lenses to photograph wild things - if an animal shows stress, if you're destroying plants, just move back and use a longer lens.

For f***'s sake, these are basic principles!
I would've contacted the authorities if I was in the OP's place.
Here in Switzerland disrespecting the environement is intolerable.
Sony α
Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4

Photographing one flower while trampling another!?!?!

What a dolt!

I bet he'd do a fashion shoot with one supermodel while using another for a pack mule.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:31 AM   #5

Sounds like this guy's taste is all in his mouth.

At least with digital cameras he can't leave a trail of film canisters, wrappers and boxes as litter.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:57 AM   #6

I use to keep a small pouch when I go hiking, and I pick up cigarette butts, wrappers and such I find on my way. I find it keeps me attentive (?? sharp?) all the time.
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:01 PM   #7

It's too bad you didn't get a couple snaps of this boob. The groundskeepers might have been able to recover the costs of putting things right.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:57 PM   #8

Several years ago I took a picture in the California Poppy Reserve. They make a point of asking everyone to stay on the paths because you can't venture off them without trampling on a flower some years. The picture I took was of a photographer using a macro lens, who's lying full length on the flowers, with just her head and hat sticking above them and her lens up close to one flower. Wondered if she noticed how many other flowers she had crushed to get her shot?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:05 PM   #9

What I hate is people who kill the animals. This is pathetic. "Look, a beautiful sunset, let's take a picture then kill everything that moves".

I have to make my way through the unexplored forest in order to avoid the bloodshed tourists (mainly americans) leave on the trails.

One phrase about photography that i like is "Photography is a kind of hunt where what is shot lives forever" (from http://www.micro2macro.net/). So in this sense, i really believe that, philosophically, photography is kinda the opposite of hunting. The former values and presume living beings are important, worth to be captured in a forever-living medium, the latter subjugates the animals and assumes they don't deserve living a second longer.

Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:19 PM   #10

I have asked a number of people to stay out of the Poppy fields. Just can't see destroying the surrounding just to get a picture.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote