Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 1, 2004, 10:41 AM   #31

Originally Posted by voxmagna
A comment on the question of focusing in daylight - most cameras lose any focus setting when they are turned off and back on.
Well, I thought that my Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500) retained manual focus settings when off. But, I just checked, and it doesn't. It does retain other settings (even manual exposure choices for aperture/shutter speed when off).

However, my manual focus choices are simply toggles using a controller key (for example: 1m, 2m, 4m, infinity), so they are very quick and easy to use.

Due to the great depth of field you get with a compact digital camera like mine (8mm-24mm actual focal length of the lens, to get 39mm-117mm equivalent), these choices are sufficient for my needs in darker conditions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 4:16 PM   #32

Haven't been on in a couple of weeks, but I'll be glad to share my experiences. Taking pics in total darkness can be done with good success, but you've got a few things going against you:
1. Total darkness will force most cameras on auto into 200 or 400 ISO = grainy, poor quality photos
2. Since it's too dark to see, it's also too dark to focus
3. Framing your shot through an EVF is difficult at best or near impossible; an optical viewfinder isn't a lot better

My solutions:
1. Set ISO to 100, and get a great flash! FL-40 works fine for my camera, allowing pictures at up to 70 feet in total darkness, by my experience.
2. A camera with a focus assist lamp will work great up to about 10 feet with the built-in flash; a focus assist lamp on the flash greatly extends this range. Depending on your subject, you must capture something light colored or reflective enough to bounce back the focus assist beam to properly focus. Always pre-focus, and it you don't get focus confirmation, try again until you do. You may not have the opportunity in a boat, but I have placed a sheet of white paper on my subject, locked focus, and then removed the paper before framing the shot (I suppose a white reflector would work even better, but haven't tried that yet).
3. Practice, practice, Practice! If you have the time, you can just re-take the shot if you don't get what you want the first time. If not, don't be too stingy on the zoom! Missing the shot may be worse than cropping it too tightly! These are the times I wish I had greater than a 2MP camera, which would allow more cropping latitude in the digital darkroom.

Hope this helps! Let us know how you come out...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 4:29 PM   #33

hi all,

i have been down me local shops playing around with the v1 against cameras like kodak dx6490 and olympus c-750 i really like the v1 but i couldnt really try the dark focus thing because well it was light but i put it into the mode etc.

I posted on a fishing forum what other ppl use for their shots and most replyed they use a canon 300D or Just plain 300 (not digital by what they were saying), been looking at this camera's pictures look soooooooooo crisp, looks a damn good camera but well over my head functionally.

i think im going to go with the V1 but i cant help wish it had a better zoom but i guess there is no perfect camera for under 5 million pounds :P and a noob photographer.

LG: like some of those ideas will try some of them, gonna practice alot more in me garden see if i can get half decent at it.

garland is offline   Reply With Quote