Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:12 PM   #1
Default Helppppppp

new assignment from school....
photograph #1
photograph one or more persons or things in motion. the abjective of this picture should be to express a sense of speed.
In effect, the subject of this picture should be "action" that is, the motion itself should be the center of interest.

I find there are three (3) basic techniques to achieve this result.
i can use a very slow shutter speed to blur the image of the moving subject while the background remains sharp, or i can pan the camera to keep the moving subject in sharp focus while blurring the background. the question i need help on, is what settings for the camera for both pictures, aperture & speed
any and all post of help will be appreciated
bobby jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:05 PM   #2

The normal calculation for getting a sharp photo is that the lowest shutter speed is the reciprocal of the focal length. If you are using a 35-115 lens at its widest setting you need about 1/30 second and if you are using the full tele you would need about 1/120 second.

So if you use 1/15 second you will probably get just a small amount of blur in wide and a lot in telephoto.

How low you want to go on the shutter speed is dependent on the relative motion of the target. Set the camera for shutter speed priority and set 1/8 second. See how it turns out and adjust from there.

The aperture can only be at one setting to get correct exposure for a given shutter speed. It takes care of itself in shutter priority and you have to match the needle with aperture once you set the speed you want in manual.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote