Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:14 PM   #1
Default im gonna buy a Digicam - but have a few questions plz....

I am real confused about the megapixel/resolution issue - Obviously the more megapixels the more expensive the camera, but 99% of what i want a digital camera for is pics for the web.

I do have a HP printer i just bought last week at K-mart for $109 - its a HP psc1210v all-in-one - im not sure how good it would print a photo quality pic - but i suppose it might be nice to be able to do so occasionaly, perhaps a small pic - but all i mostly want is pics for the web.

Will a 4 megapixel camera make better web pics then a 2 megapixel camera? I hear that the resolution of a pic you can use on the web is limited, and of course nobody wants a web pic thats 2 megs in size, if i used a 4 megapixel camera to take a pic for the web (at its higest setting) i would still have to compess it into a jpeg - but would I have a worse jpeg if I had used a 2 megapixel camera?

I have an mp3 player that uses compact flash type 1, so it would be nice to have a camera that used that too - i was very close today to buying a Canon Powershot A60 from buy.com today at $189.99 - it uses compact flash - but , at buy.com - i saw a button to write reviews , but no button to read them - I tried google and found this site (great site!!! lets ya see all the features of a digicam!!) so when I saw this forum - i thought I might post and see if I could get some good advice.

Thanks if you can help
bum4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:38 PM   #2

would I have a worse jpeg if I had used a 2 megapixel camera?
In a (couple of) words, not necessarily so. I addressed the same concern in an earlier message More of the what should I buy saga. To sum that one up, I've been using a 1.4 megapixel camera for the past 5 years for my website, and it's produced very nice photos (IMHO). As you note, resolution is limited to 72dpi for most current computer monitors, so having lots more pixels in large photo files is not going to guarantee better results, and may cause more people to flee your website due to the long photo loading times. All else being equal, what you primarily get with most recent 4+MP cameras is manual controls and the ability to make better large prints. There are other things to think about as well, how much zoom you need, compactness, stuff like that, but if you're thinking of photo quality for website use, don't be swayed by pixels.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote