Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 5, 2012, 8:53 PM   #1
Default How to fix overbright backgrounds?

Hi all! So recently I've been having a bit of an odd issue. I have an off white table with white stripes I use for recording, specifically with excessive brightness. When I record something that is not filling a lot of the frame, I get no overexposure. But as soon as I film something that almost fills the frame, the entire background gets blindingly bright and overexposed. This happens with two cameras I've tried. (Kodak Zi8, Sony Bloggie DUO HD) Here's some pics to give you an idea. This is ruining my shoots and driving me nuts! Any idea how I can fix this?

Last edited by acuriousman; May 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
acuriousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2012, 11:57 PM   #2

I don't think you can manually control the exposure of either of the two cameras, so you will have to adjust the lighting on the subject. The camera measures the light level of the whole scene, and adjusts its exposure accordingly. If a large part of the frame is of a dark object, as in your first photo, the camera will keep the shutter open to let in more light, to have an overall 'correct' exposure. The lighter colored background then is overexposed.
You could try using a small spot light on the subject to brighten it up so the camera would lower its exposure level. The ideal solution, though, would be a camera with manual exposure settings, for consistency.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote